Tsubaki Factory (つばきファクトリー; Camellia Factory) is a Japanese pop group under Hello! Project, originally formed with six members from Hello Pro Kenshuusei in late April 2015. As of July 2021, they are currently twelve members. Their sister group was Kobushi Factory.
Tsubaki Factory's highest selling single is "Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma / Dakishimerarete Mitai" with 81,280 copies sold while their lowest selling major label single is "Dansha-ISM / Ima Nanji?" with 37,800 copies sold.
- Main article: Tsubaki Factory Members
Nov. 24, 1998 (22)
Oct. 20, 1999 (21)
Nov. 16, 1999 (21)
Apr. 1, 2000 (21)
Sept. 3, 2000 (21)
Sept. 29, 2000 (20)
Dec. 17, 2001 (19)
July 29, 2002 (19)
July 30, 2003 (18)
Sept. 19, 2003 (18)
Oct. 18, 2004 (16)
Dec. 20, 2007 (13)
- Founding members (2015)
- Ogata Risa (小片リサ; Light Orange) (Left: December 28, 2020; Sub-Leader 2015–2020)
On April 29, the group was announced through Japanese media, and confirmed through Hello! Project Station. The group made their first performance at the Hello Pro Kenshuusei Happyoukai 2015 ~Haru no Koukai Jitsuryoku Shindan Test~ on May 4.
On May 26, the group participated as an opening act at ANGERME STARTING LIVE TOUR SPECIAL @ Nippon Budokan "Taiki Bansei".
On September 6, Tsubaki Factory released their first indies single "Seishun Manmannaka!" at the Hello Pro Kenshuusei Happyoukai 2015 ~9gatsu no Nama Tamago Show!~ concert venue.
From October 8 to October 18, Tsubaki Factory starred in the Engeki Joshibu musical remake of Thank You Very Berry, which also featured and was directed by Sudo Maasa, who starred in the original stageplay.
On December 31, Tsubaki Factory released their second indies single "Kedakaku Sakihokore!" at the Hello! Project COUNTDOWN PARTY 2015 ~GOOD BYE & HELLO!~ concert venue.
On March 19, Tsubaki Factory released their first mini album titled Tsubaki Factory SOUND + VISION Vol.1 at the Asobu. Kurasu. Sodateru. SATOYAMA & SATOUMI e Ikou 2016 venue as a limited pre-sale. The mini album was released for general sale on May 18.
The new line-up debuted on September 4 at Hello! Project Kenshuusei Happyoukai 2016 9gatsu ~SINGING!~, where it was announced by Hello! Project advisor Shimizu Saki that Tsubaki Factory would finally make their major debut in January 2017.
2017: Major Debut
On February 22, Tsubaki Factory released their major debut single, "Hatsukoi Sunrise / Just Try! / Uruwashi no Camellia".
On February 28, the members were removed from the Hello Pro Kenshuusei profile page on the official Hello! Project site, indicating they had officially left Hello Pro Kenshuusei.
On May 24, Tsubaki Factory performed at GIRLS ROCKS.
On June 17, Tsubaki Factory performed at the GIRLS IDOL FESTA 2017.
On July 15, Ogata Risa, Niinuma Kisora, Tanimoto Ami, Kishimoto Yumeno, and Ono Mizuho appeared on TBS's Ongaku no Hi 2017 in a pre-recorded performance. They were part of a special Hello! Project unit with Morning Musume '17 and a selection of members from ANGERME and Kobushi Factory.
On July 26, Tsubaki Factory released their second major single, "Shuukatsu Sensation / Waratte / Hana Moyou".
On November 16, Tsubaki Factory were also announced to have won a Newcomer Award from the 59th Japan Record Awards. At the ceremony on December 30, they were presented their award and were later announced as the winners of the Best Newcomer Award out of three other artists.
On January 5, Tsubaki Factory began their first radio show on Tokai Radio, titled Tsubaki Factory no Camellia Night.
On February 21, Tsubaki Factory released their third single, "Teion Yakedo / Shunrenka / I Need You ~Yozora no Kanransha~".
On July 17, Kobushi Factory and Tsubaki Factory digitally released the cover single "Hyokkori Hyoutanjima", which was used as the official compulsory song for the Aidorusai 2018 ~Idol Matsuri~ contest.
On July 18, Tsubaki Factory released their fourth single, "Date no Hi wa Nido Kurai Shower Shite Dekaketai / Junjou cm / Kon'ya Dake Ukaretakatta".
Tsubaki Factory performed on all three days of TOKYO IDOL FESTIVAL 2018, from August 3 through August 5.
On September 21, it was announced that Tsubaki Factory would sing Japanese covers of the opening and ending themes for the DreamWorks animated TV series Trolls: Sing, Dance, Hug! which begins airing on TV Tokyo on October 3. The opening theme is titled "Hair up Sora e!" (originally "Hair in the Air"), and ending theme is titled "Mou Saikou!" (originally "Best Day Ever").
On February 22, the second anniversary of their major debut, Tsubaki Factory published the Tsubaki Factory 1st Official Book. Also as part of the celebration, the group opened a pop-up café in collaboration with AREA-Q ANNEX in Harajuku named "Kissa Camellia" from the same day and ending on March 31.
On April 19, it was announced that Tsubaki Factory and BEYOOOOONDS were appointed as official supporters for the Aidorusai 2019 ~Idol Matsuri~ contest, joining ANGERME, Juice=Juice, Up Up Girls (Kakko Kari), The World Standard, and Chuning Candy who were all appointed in March.
On August 2, Tsubaki Factory performed at TOKYO IDOL FESTIVAL 2019.
On August 24, Tsubaki Factory released the digital song "Nineteen no Shinkirou ('19 Summer Ver.)". Asakura Kiki, who has been on a break from activities since May in order to treat a lumbar disc herniation, is absent from the recording.
On October 9, it was announced that Asakura Kiki would gradually resume activities as she recovers from her injury, but would not dance or participate in their fall tour. It was also announced that their next single would be released on January 15, 2020. During the single's promotion period, Asakura would not participate in lives or release events with the rest of the group, and would instead hold separate talk events.
On January 15, Tsubaki Factory released their sixth single, "Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma / Dakishimerarete Mitai".
On January 16, at "Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma / Dakishimerarete Mitai" mini live & handshake event in Ikebukuro Sunshine City, it was announced by Shimizu Saki that the group would be holding their first hall concert tour in May.
On June 30, a selection of songs performed at the Hello! Project Hina Fes 2020 <Tsubaki Factory Premium> concert were livestreamed on the official Tsubaki Factory YouTube channel, being available until July 5. During the livestream, Tsubaki Factory provided commentary and gave gifts via lottery for those who watched the live premiere of the stream. They also announced that their seventh single, "Dansha-ISM / Ima Nanji?" would be releasing on September 30.
On October 8, it was announced on the official Hello! Project site that Ogata Risa has been suspended from all activities for an indeterminate amount of time due to rule violations. After it was discovered that Ogata had been using a secret social media account to post contentious statements, Ogata admitted to the account being hers and subsequently apologized. She offered to have her activities suspended for the time being to reflect on her behavior. Her individual online release events through WithLIVE for "Dansha-ISM / Ima Nanji?" have been cancelled as a result, and tickets would be refunded.
On December 28, it was announced on the official Hello! Project site that Ogata Risa would not resume her activities and that she had also departed from Hello! Project. 
On January 20, it was announced through Hello! Project Station and the official Hello! Project website that Juice=Juice and Tsubaki Factory would be holding a joint new member audition titled Hello! Project "Juice=Juice" "Tsubaki Factory" Goudou Shin Member Audition. The audition opened to applicants on January 22, and the application period will end on March 1. An audition website opened on January 22 with more details.
On May 26, they released their second album, 2nd STEP. In the same day, Tsubaki Factory premiered a special video on YouTube, available temporarily until May 30, to commemorate the release of their album 2nd STEP. During the video, the members watched concert footage from their Haru・Ranman live tour, and at the end, it was announced by Shimizu Saki that Tsubaki Factory will be performing their first concert at Nippon Budokan on October 18, 2021. After the premiere, Tsubaki Factory held a commemorative Instagram Live.
On July 7, it was announced through Hello! Project Station that Hello! Project "Juice=Juice" "Tsubaki Factory" Goudou Shin Member Audition winners Kasai Yuumi, Yagi Shiori, Fukuda Marine, and Hello Pro Kenshuusei member Yofu Runo has joined the group as new members.
On September 3, a notice on Hello! Project's website directed for the group's fans announced a request for them to refrain from asking the members about Ogata Risa on promotional events and in social media bringing back what happened after Ogata's private social account was leaked, stating that this has been occurring constantly and the members are heartbroken about this. At that time, Ogata's posts had her own beliefs and misunderstandings, and her descriptions of the members strongly reflected her personal feelings. In addition, UP-FRONT PROMOTION is continuing to pursue the person who leaked the posts, and reinforced that what Ogata wrote back then was not true.
On November 17, the group will release their eighth single, "Namida no Heroine Kouban Geki / Garakuta DIAMOND / Yakusoku・Renraku・Kinenbi". It will be the first release to include the four new members Kasai Yuumi, Yagi Shiori, Fukuda Marine, and Yofu Runo.
Group Name Origin
The camellia (tsubaki) was "decided with praising the noble and cold beauty and wanting the group to be fresh and strong like the evergreen." The word "factory", also used in the name of their sister group Kobushi Factory, is named to reference Berryz Koubou ("koubou" meaning "workshop"), so that the group may carry on Berryz Koubou's spirit.
- See also: Tsubaki Factory Discography
- Studio Albums
- Mini Albums
- [2016.03.19] Tsubaki Factory SOUND + VISION Vol.1
- Indies Singles
- [2015.09.06] Seishun Manmannaka!
- [2015.12.31] Kedakaku Sakihokore!
- [2016.08.06] Hitorijime / Watashi ga Obasan ni Natte mo (DVD single)
- Major Singles
- [2017.02.22] Hatsukoi Sunrise / Just Try! / Uruwashi no Camellia
- [2017.07.26] Shuukatsu Sensation / Waratte / Hana Moyou
- [2018.02.21] Teion Yakedo / Shunrenka / I Need You ~Yozora no Kanransha~
- [2018.07.18] Date no Hi wa Nido Kurai Shower Shite Dekaketai / Junjou cm / Kon'ya Dake Ukaretakatta
- [2019.02.27] Sankaime no Date Shinwa / Fuwari, Koi Dokei
- [2020.01.15] Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma / Dakishimerarete Mitai
- [2020.09.30] Dansha-ISM / Ima Nanji?
- [2021.11.17] Namida no Heroine Kouban Geki / Garakuta DIAMOND / Yakusoku・Renraku・Kinenbi
- Soundtrack Singles
- Collaboration Singles
- [2018.07.17] Hyokkori Hyoutanjima (Kobushi Factory & Tsubaki Factory) (digital single)
- [2018.09.26] YEAH YEAH YEAH / Akogare no Stress-free / Hana, Takenawa no Toki (Hello Pro All Stars)
- Digital Songs
- [2019.08.24] Nineteen no Shinkirou ('19 Summer Ver.)
- Concert DVDs
- [2015.09.26] Hello! Project New Fes! 2015 (with Kobushi Factory, Country Girls)
- [2018.06.13] Tsubaki Factory One-Man LIVE ~First Blossom~
- [2018.09.05] Kobushi Factory & Tsubaki Factory Premium Live 2018 Haru "KOBO" (with Kobushi Factory)
- [2019.06.05] Tsubaki Factory Live Tour 2019 Haru・Ranman Major Debut 2 Shuunen Special
- Musical DVDs
- [2016.02.03] Thank You Very Berry
- [2019.09.14] Kizetsu Suru Hodo Aishiteru! (with Country Girls)
- [2019.09.25] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6 Gaiden ~Tasogare no Kamen~
- Fanclub DVDs
- [2016.03.28] Tsubaki Factory FC Event 2015 ~Mini Mini☆Christmas Kai~
- [2016.12.24] Tsubaki Factory FC Event 2016
- [2017.01.26] Tsubaki Factory Ouen Kikaku ~Camellia Fai! vol.1~
- [2017.02.11] Tsubaki Factory Ouen Kikaku ~Camellia Fai! vol.2~
- [2017.03.25] Tsubaki Factory Ouen Kikaku ~Camellia Fai! vol.3~
- [2017.04.26] Tsubaki Factory Ouen Kikaku ~Camellia Fai! vol.4 Mini Mini☆Christmas Kai 2~
- [2017.06.xx] Tsubaki Factory Ouen Kikaku ~Camellia Fai! vol.5~
- [2018.05.26] Tsubaki Factory FC Event ~Camellia Fai! vol.6 Mini Mini☆Christmas Kai 3~
- [2018.08.25] Tsubaki Factory FC Event ~Camellia Fai! vol.7 Camellia Party e Youkoso!~
- [2018.12.27] Tsubaki Factory FC Event ~Camellia Fai! vol.8 Summer Festival!~
- [2019.05.29] Tsubaki Factory FC Event ~Camellia Fai! vol.9 Camellia Xmas Party e Youkoso!~
- [2019.12.xx] Tsubaki Factory Fanclub tour "Camellian Journey" in Nagano
- See also: Tsubaki Factory Publications
- [2019.02.22] Tsubaki Factory 1st Official Book
-  Thank You Very Berry
-  Kizetsu Suru Hodo Aishiteru!
-  Nega Poji Poji
-  Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6 Gaiden ~Tasogare no Kamen~
- Shimizu Saki assisted in picking the group name and members.
- Ogata Risa and Tanimoto Ami were in Hello Pro Kenshuusei for only 5 months before joining the unit.
- Asakura Kiki was in Hello Pro Kenshuusei for only 6 months and 5 days before joining the unit.
- Yamagishi Riko has been in Hello Pro Kenshuusei the longest out of all the members, having joined the program in June 2012.
- Ono Mizuho, Onoda Saori, and Akiyama Mao were only members for 3 weeks and 1 day before the unit's major debut was announced.
- Tsubaki Factory has the most members coming from the same Kenshuusei generation, with a total of 4 members (Ogata Risa, Tanimoto Ami, Asakura Kiki and Onoda Saori) from the 22nd generation of Hello Pro Kenshuusei.
- Kishimoto Yumeno stated there is a rule within the group to forbid adding highlights in their hair (or changing their hair color) to keep the image of members "clean like a Camellia Flower".
- Despite this rule, Niinuma Kisora has dyed her hair.
- [2017.12.04] 50th Japan Cable Awards - Newcomer Award
- [2017.12.30] 59th Japan Record Awards - Newcomer Award
- [2017.12.30] 59th Japan Record Awards - Best Newcomer Award
- Tsubaki Factory Members
- Tsubaki Factory Discography
- Tsubaki Factory Concerts & Events
- Tsubaki Factory Publications
- Gallery:Tsubaki Factory
- Gallery:Tsubaki Factory Music Videos
- Tsubaki Factory Auditions
- Tsubaki Factory Sales & Views
Total Sales Count
|Year||Yearly Group Sales||Yearly Collab Sales||Total Sales|
- Tsubaki Factory Official Profile
- Tsubaki Factory YouTube Channel
- Tsubaki Factory Official Blog
- Social Media Pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, TikTok
- Wikipedia: English, Japanese