from the album For ourself ~Single History~
|Released||July 28, 1999|
|Label||Warner Music Japan|
|Previous||Anata no Yume ni Naritai 5th single (1999)|
|Next||One Room Natsu no Koi Monogatari 7th single (2000)|
scene is Heike Michiyo's sixth single, and the very first single where Heike has written the lyrics herself. The single was released on July 28th, 1999, on the record label Warner Music Japan. The single sold a total of 2,760 copies.
The title track appears on her second album For ourself ~Single History~.
For the release of this single, Heike went on an in-store event tour at twelve different locations. She performed a fixed setlist, where she sung GET, scene, and Anata no Yume ni Naritai, followed by a hand shake meeting for fans.
- scene (Original Karaoke)
Total Reported Sales: 2,760
- "scene" was used as the ending theme to the infotainment show "Idol wo Sagase".
- The B-side, return, is a clubbing tune with some R&B flavor. The lyrics are about heartbreak of a girl whose boyfriend gradually became distant from her.
- Heike said in an interview about the song: “I began writing the lyrics around 6am and it took 2 hours to finish. Then on the same day, in the evening, I had to go in and record the song. It was such a rough schedule. The concept of the lyrics was discussed beforehand, and the theme was about a girl who keeps dragging her feelings towards him. By the way, this is definitely not based on my own experience. Lol. Anyway, the song is not only about the girl’s slight hope for him to come back to her, but also about the difference between a man and a woman’s mind. I tried to express the subtle stubbornness of a clever woman that some of a hard-working, career-oriented man may never be able to figure out. Hatake came up with this melody when he went to a nightclub one day. I like the trendy clubbing sound like this. I’ve never done the ‘whisper voice’ before, so I was a little bit worried. But I sounded better than I expected. I never thought I was able to pull off this type of music, so I’d love to try this kind of genre more often in the future.”
- After the release of this single, Heike's career was put on hiatus for 10 months until the release of, One Room Natsu no Koi Monogatari. Heike said: "It was the toughest, longest 10 months of my life… But without it, I wouldn’t be here today, so I should be thankful. I still think and worry about not releasing anything during that time though…I thought a lot about how I should present myself on stage as well as the music in general. I suffered a lot, but it was a rare opportunity given to me to stop and reflect on myself."
Heike said in various interview in 1999 and 2000:
"And when I realized, I was already asking Hatake (note: her producer) if I could write lyrics for my next single. I’m sure none of the staff wanted to suggest me to write lyrics so soon. Since I was the one who made the commitment, I wanted to keep my words in order to not let myself down and also to see how far I could go.”My first impression was a big ocean and a girl sitting and watching the ocean. The beach was deserted and the waves were calm. […] the song is based on my imagination. It’s totally fictional. […] so my instinct was, ‘this song is going to be about the ocean!’”
(interviewers words:) When she was editing the finished lyrics with Hatake, he suggested a few wordings to be changed, but she maintained her creative integrity by sticking to her original expressions."
“I had been writing lyrics since I was a junior high school student, but I was asked to finish writing lyrics in one day because the recording was scheduled on the following day. And I thought, ‘what an impossible request!’ lol. But then I thought, in order to write good lyrics, having lots of time isn’t quite necessary. Also, I felt like I had the control of the situation: Either I write the lyrics and complete the task or not. So I was under a lot of pressure. But thanks to this experience, I was able to gain a stronger professional attitude. Before that, it was all about receiving someone else’s song and performing as instructed, but now, I am able to express my own opinions and personal taste. So I feel like I was able to make a bigger improvement as an martist at that time.
- ↑ Hello! Project Autumn Vol. 7 (fan club magazine)
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20051215123759/http://www1.interq.or.jp/naoya-t/michiyo/magazine.htm
|Major Singles||1. GET | 2. Sotsugyou ~TOP OF THE WORLD~ | 3. Daikirai | 4. Dakedo Aishisugite | 5. Anata no Yume ni Naritai | 6. scene | 7. One Room Natsu no Koi Monogatari | 8. Ai no Chikara | 9. Kekkyoku Bye Bye Bye | 10. Propose | 11. Murasaki Shikibu|
|Indies Singles||1. Ran・RUN・Ran | 2. unaffected|
|Major Albums||Original: Teenage Dream|
Best: For ourself ~Single History~
Soundtrack: Morning Cop ~Daite HOLD ON ME!~
|Indies Albums||1. JECICA | 2. Koimizuki | 3. Fantasia|
|Units & Other Acts|
|Associated Acts||Kiiro 5 | 7nin Matsuri | Sexy 8|