|Total Applicants||5,000 Auditionees|
|Winners||Ichii Sayaka, Yaguchi Mari, Yasuda Kei|
|Previous||Sharam Q Josei Rock Vocalist Audition (1997)|
|Next||Morning Musume 2nd Tsuika Audition (1999)|
Morning Musume Tsuika Audition (モーニング娘。追加オーディション; Morning Musume Addition Audition) was an audition held in 1998 to find more members for Morning Musume.
On March 22, 1998, Tsunku announced on an episode of ASAYAN in front of Nakazawa Yuko, Ishiguro Aya, Iida Kaori, Abe Natsumi, and Fukuda Asuka that he was looking for more members for Morning Musume. While they are crying, application requirements are aired on screen.
On the following ASAYAN episodes throughout March and April, we are shown footage of all the applications that have been sent in.
On April 26, footage is shown of applicants who are singing a capella in front of Morning Musume's manager Wada Kaoru. We also get to see applicants being interviewed face to face by staff members, and Tsunku watching VTRs. He chooses 16 applicants to move on.
The final 16 are invited into the recording studio with Wada and Tsunku for interviews. Afterwards, they both go through the applications.
- Application Requirements
- To send in two pictures; full figure and face shot.
- To send in a cassette tape with a song and a video tape (VTR).
- There were so many applicants, that after a while they just stopped opening the letters. Tsunku said that Yaguchi Mari was chosen simply because she sent in her application letter early.
- None of the girls faces are shown throughout the audition process. The first time we get to see their application forms, them singing at the audition, and spending time with their families is when the final three are announced.
- Notable failed auditionees include Miyoshi Erika, Kabata Saki and Hoshino Kanako.