Morning Musume '16 Shinseiki Audition (モーニング娘。'16新世紀オーディション; Morning Musume '16 New Century Audition) is the audition to choose 13th generation member(s) for Morning Musume. It was announced on January 2, 2016 at Hello! Project 2016 WINTER ~DANCING! SINGING! EXCITING!~.
The original audition ended with no winners on May 31, 2016 with plans to re-hold the audition in the future. On June 15, 2016, a second audition began under the title Morning Musume '16 Shinseiki Audition Saiboshuu (モーニング娘。'16新世紀オーディション 再募集; Morning Musume '16 New Century Audition Re-recruitment).
- Application Requirements:
- Female, minimum of 10 years of age and maximum of 17 years of age by January 1, 2016 (June 1, 2016 for re-recruitment).
- Must not currently be under contract with any agencies.
- Must have consent from legal guardian if under the age of 15.
- Application Deadline:
- February 14, 2016 (original)
- August 7, 2016 (re-recruitment)
The application deadline was February 14, 2016. On March 3, it was announced that passing candidates would receive their results through the mail.
On May 31, 2016 it was announced through the audition website that after repeatedly strict examination by the staff, they came to the result that there were no suitable candidates at the time, and therefore no one had passed.
The application deadline was August 7, 2016. Application screening was completed on August 18, and successful candidates will be contacted through the mail.
On November 23 at the Morning Musume '16 Concert Tour Aki ~MY VISION~ concert in Osaka, the group announced that the 13th generation would be selected from Hello Pro Kenshuusei and announced at the Nippon Budokan tour finale on December 12. The audition administrator later released an official statement on the Hello! Project website explaining that the winner(s) would be chosen from Hello Pro Kenshuusei because, once again, no suitable candidates were found from the general audition.
Comments by Members
- Interview from the B.L.T. October 2016 issue ("For the 13th generation, what kind of girl do you want to join?"):
- Ikuta Erina: Since the audition is open to international applicants, I think it’d be interesting for an international girl to join. I’m happy there are international girls that think “I want to be in Morning Musume!”. We also want to go and meet more of our international fans. Four years ago when we had our worldwide handshake; at the time I was still in middle school so I regrettably couldn’t participate, so I want to have another worldwide handshake with the current members.
- This is the third Morning Musume audition to not have any winners. Unlike the previous two, the 13th generation audition was re-held under the same name.
- People who participated in the original audition but failed include Kawamura Ayano, Yokoyama Reina, Nishida Shiori, Yamazaki Yuhane, and Hashisako Rin before joining Hello Pro Kenshuusei as the 26th generation.
- The second winner, Yokoyama Reina, failed in the third round of the original audition before joining Hello Pro Kenshuusei.
- Kawamura was added to ANGERME in June 2017 as part of its 6th generation, and is currently one of the groups sub-leaders as of June 2019.
- Hashisako was later also added to ANGERME in July 2019 as its 8th generation member.
- Yamazaki became a member of Ame no Mori Kawa Umi, while Nishida became a member of CHICA#TETSU, in June 2018. Both made their major debut alongside the rest of BEYOOOOONDS in August 2019.
- People who participated in the second audition but failed include Shimakura Rika, Hibi Marina, Eguchi Saya, Doi Rena, Okamura Minami, Yamada Ichigo, Nakayama Natsume and Matsunaga Riai before joining Hello Pro Kenshuusei as the 27th generation.
- Shimakura and Eguchi became members of CHICA#TETSU, while Okamura became a member of Ame no Mori Kawa Umi, in June 2018. All three made their major debut alongside the rest of BEYOOOOONDS in August 2019.
- Matsunaga was added to Juice=Juice in June 2019.
- Doi, Hibi and Yamada left Hello Pro Kenshuusei between 2018 and 2021.
- Kanemitsu Ruru and Sasaki Honoka participated in the audition before joining Hello Pro Kenshuusei and Up Up Girls (2) respectively.
- This is the first Morning Musume audition to not publicly broadcast any footage of the general audition.
- The audition searched for someone who loves to sing and dance, who believes in their future, who wants to test out their potential, who wants to find their new self, and who loves Morning Musume more than anyone.
- There are plans for Morning Musume to carry out further activities around the world in the future. The audition was not limited to Japan, and girls with an international perspective were welcome to apply, including girls of different nationalities.
- The Hello Pro Kenshuusei and Hello Pro Kenshuusei Hokkaido members had a separate audition which ran parallel to the public audition.
- "New audition for Morning Musume。’16 announced!" UP-FRONT LINK. 2016-01-02
- "モー娘。12月に13期生加入へ 武道館で2年ぶり新メンバーお披露目" (in Japanese). ORICON STYLE. 2016-11-23.
- "モーニング娘。’16 NEWシングル発売「3曲とも神ってる」" (in Japanese). 2016-11-23.
- "「モーニング娘。'16新世紀オーディション！」に関するお知らせ" (in Japanese). Hello! Project. 2016-11-23.
- "モーニング娘。'16 第13期メンバー決定！" (in Japanese). Hello! Project. 2016-12-12.
- "2 new members for Morning Musume。13th generation!" UP-FRONT LINK. 2016-12-12.
- "モーニング娘。13期メンバーに横山玲奈と加賀楓が加入。'17から13人体制に" (in Japanese). BARKS. 2016-12-12.
- B.L.T. October 2016 Issue. Published 2016-09-24. (English Translation)
- "モー娘。が13期2人お披露目 加賀楓&横山玲奈の現役高校生コンビ" (in Japanese). ORICON NEWS. 2016-12-12.