|Years Active||1999–2010, 2011, 2013|
|Associated Acts||ROMANS, Tanpopo, 10nin Matsuri, 11WATER, 7AIR, 7nin Matsuri, Elegies, Happy♡7, H.P. All Stars, Odoru♡11, Sexy 8, Hello! Project Akagumi, Elder Club, Muratani Shimai|
|Members||Saito Hitomi (L)|
Murata Megumi (S-L)
Melon Kinenbi (メロン記念日; Melon Anniversary) was a Japanese pop group under Hello! Project. During its tenure, Melon Kinenbi was the most stable of the groups in Hello! Project, with a lineup that remained unchanged throughout their ten year run.
Melon Kinenbi experimented with various musical styles over the years, ranging from bubblegum pop to rock. The band occasionally worked as dancers for other Hello! Project artists (See the music video for Goto Maki's single "Yaruki! IT'S EASY").
The entire group officially graduated from Hello! Project on March 31, 2009, along with the rest of the Elder Club.
In February 2010, Melon Kinenbi announced that they decided to disband.
- Saito Hitomi (斉藤瞳) (Leader): In charge of sexy
- Murata Megumi (村田 めぐみ) (Former Leader): In charge of fairy tale
- Otani Masae: (大谷雅恵) In charge of boyish
- Shibata Ayumi: (柴田あゆみ) In charge of natural
In May of 1999, application details were included with Morning Musume’s 5th single "Manatsu no Kousen" for the 2nd Morning Musume & Heike Michiyo Protegee Audition.
In December, the group’s name was decided as "Melon Kinenbi."
On February 19th, Melon Kinebi made their debut with "Amai Anata no Aji," a single produced by Tsunku. At the time of its release, the group was lacking in popularity. The major criticisms for the group were that the members did not have distinct personalities, and that the group did not have a distinct style. Sales struggled as well, which prompted rumors of disbandment.
Later on, the group would establish different concepts for each member. Saito was labeled as the sexy one, Murata as the cute/dreamy one, Otani as the tomboy, and Shibata as the natural beauty. The caracteristic of the group was that each girl possesses a unique character, as evidenced in one of the remarks made by all the members: “If it weren’t for this unit, we wouldn’t have interacted with each other (because we are so different)”. The combination of different personalities created a dynamic that made the group interesting.
On October 11, the group released their fourth single, "This is Unmei." Thanks to the success of the single, the rumors of disbandment ceased, and the group regained its energy. The number of fans increased, but it was not enough to hold solo concerts yet, so the group appeared as guests for other the concerts of other groups under Hello! Project. When Matsuura Aya appeared on NHK’s "Kohaku Uta Gassen", the unit appeared as her background dancers.
In 2002, Melon Kinenbi held their first concert, Melon Kinenbi First Concert ~Korega Kinenbi~.
When the group was formed, Murata was appointed leader since she was the oldest among the members. But after some discussions among the members, Saito took over as leader in October 2002 with the release of "Kousui." This change was officially announced during the single’s release events.
Aside from their singing career, one of the other projects by the group was the comedy drama "Cyborg Shibata," which gained enough popularity to run for three seasons. The members participated in some musicals as well, both as the main and guest performers. They also held unique regular events called "MELON LOUNGE" at small venues, where each member would take turns becoming a DJ by selecting their own music and playing for the crowd. Some of the guest musicians who appeared on "MELON LOUNGE" included famous rock bands such as Dohatsuten and Beat Crusaders.
On February 9, the group released their last song produced by Tsunku, "Nikutai wa Shoujiki na EROS." Afterwards, different artists such as Sharam Q, Something Else, and Shindo Atsushi participated in producing the songs for the unit.
From May 15-20, Melon Kinenbi participated in the stage play "Watashi wo Dosei ni Tsuretette! 〜RPG Fly Me To The Saturn〜".
From April 30 to May 6, Melon Kinenbi appeared in the stage play "Kaba".
In 2008, the unit started having a monthly live show called "MELON GREETING."
On March 31, the entire group officially graduated from Hello! Project along with the rest of the Elder Club. Starting the following day, the fan club also no longer belonged to Hello! Project and became independently operated by changing its name to "Melon Kinenbu" (Club for Melon Kinenbi).
After their graduation, they collaborated with other Japanese punk-rock groups for several limited-release indie singles, as well as two albums in 2010.
From July 1-5, they starred in the stage play "UNO:R".
On February 19, two days after the release of MELON'S NOT DEAD, the group announced during their 10-year anniversary live "Seitan 3654 Nichi Kanshasai" that they would disband after the conclusion of their tour in May.
- The announcement on the disbandment of Melon Kinenbi
- As always, thank you for supporting Melon Kinenbi.
- Today, during the stage of Melon Kinenbi’s 10th ANNIVERSARY LIVE ’3654 days since birth’ which was held at SHIBUYA-AX’, the members announced that Melon Kinenbi is going to disband.
- Keeping their idol status for 10 years, the members gave their united statement, “We would like to end Melon Kinenbi’s activity at this 10-year milestone”, and after numerous discussions and assistance from the staff, it was decided we would be announcing it publicly today.
- This March’s stage performance, “Melon Kinenbi Story” (12 performances at the Ikebukuro Theater Green, all tickets SOLD OUT) and the final tour in April~May are the group’s final activities until official disbanding.
- Furthermore, February 21st (Sunday) the Osaka performances which were planned (Nanba HATCH noon performance 15:00 START/night performance 19:00 START) will be held without any changes.
- Please keep supporting them until the end.
~Up Front Agency
- Comment from members
- Thank you, as always, for your warm support!
- On February 19th, 2010, we’ve reached Melon Kinenbi’s 10-year anniversary of existence!! The Melon road had both mountains and valleys to cross, but together with our wotamodachi [wotamodachi = wota (fan)+tomodachi (friend)], the staff, and our families who have supported us during good times and bad, we were able to build up a 10-year history. And all that without a member change!!
- Before we reached the 10-year point, the four of us talked thoroughly about the future. The result was, “10 years is a good turning point, where we should get new challenges in our real life”, so we firmly decided to disband the group.
- We think that there will people who will be shocked, thinking, “Oh no, so it’s really happened now…” , but we promise we will keep running in Melon-style until the very end. Everyone! Please keep running with us with all your energy!!
- February 19th, 2010
From March 17-22, Melon Kinenbi appeared in a special stage play documenting their ten years together, "Melon Kinenbi Monogatari ~Decade of MELON KINEN-BI~".
On May 3rd, the group performed together for the last time at Nakano Sun Plaza.
After June 30, their fan club ceased operation.
On April 17, the four members of Melon Kinenbi reunited for the first time since breaking up in order to raise funds to donate to victims of the 2011 Touhoku earthquake and tsunami.
On December 31, Melon Kinenbi reunited to perform at the Hello! Project COUNTDOWN PARTY 2013 ~GOOD BYE & HELLO!~ concert.
On October 21, Melon Kinenbi reunited to perform at the Hello! Project 20th Anniversary!! Hello! Project Hallo! Fes 2018 concert.
- Studio albums
- Mini albums
- [2007.12.12] Melon Juice (メロンジュース)
- Best albums
- [2002.05.22] Folk Songs 2
- [2002.09.04] The Douyou Pops 4 Aki no Uta Shuu (ザ･童謡ポップス4 秋のうた集)
- [2002.12.04] Shinsaku Douyou Pops 1 (新作童謡ポップス(一))
- [2003.05.21] FS4 FOLK SONGS 4
- [2001.12.19] Petit Best 2 ~3・7・10~ (プッチベスト 2 ～三・7・10)
- [2014.01.01] Hello! Project no Zenkyoku kara Atsumechaimashita! Vol. 1 (ハロー!プロジェクトの全曲から集めちゃいました! Vol.1 アイドル三十六房編（南波一海×嶺脇育夫）)
- [2014.01.01] Hello! Project no Zenkyoku kara Atsumechaimashita! Vol. 2 (ハロー!プロジェクトの全曲から集めちゃいました! Vol.2 吉田豪編)
- [2014.07.09] Hello! Project no Zenkyoku kara Atsumechaimashita! Vol. 3 (ハロー！プロジェクトの全曲から集めちゃいました！ Vol.3 掟ポルシェ編)
- [2000.02.19] Amai Anata no Aji (甘いあなたの味)
- [2000.06.28] Kokuhaku Kinenbi (告白記念日)
- [2001.03.07] Denwa Matteimasu (電話待っています)
- [2001.10.11] This is Unmei (This is 運命)
- [2002.02.14] Saa! Koibito ni Narou (さぁ！恋人になろう)
- [2002.06.19] Natsu no Yoru wa Danger! (夏の夜はデインジャー！)
- [2002.10.23] Kousui(香水)
- [2003.01.29] Akai Freesia (赤いフリージア)
- [2003.05.08] Chance of LOVE (チャンス of LOVE)
- [2003.09.10] MI DA RA Matenrou (MI DA RA 摩天楼)
- [2003.12.03] Kawaii Kare (かわいい彼)
- [2004.06.09] Namida no Taiyou (涙の太陽)
- [2004.10.27] Champagne no Koi (シャンパンの恋)
- [2005.02.09] Nikutai wa Shoujiki na EROS (肉体は正直なEROS)
- [2007.03.28] Unforgettable (アンフォゲッタブル)
- [2007.09.05] Onegai Miwaku no Target ~Mango-Pudding Mix~ (お願い魅惑のターゲット ~マンゴープリンMix~)
- [2008.03.19] Charisma・Kirei (カリスマ・綺麗)
- [2006.06.10] Onegai Miwaku no Target / Crazy Happy! (お願い魅惑のターゲット)
- [2009.06.24] DON'T SAY GOOD-BYE
- [2009.07.22] Pinchi wa Chance - Baka ni Narou ze! (ピンチはチャンス バカになろうぜ!)
- [2009.08.12] sweet suicide summer story
- [2009.10.21] Seishun-on-the-Road (青春・オン・ザ・ロード)
- [2009.12.30] Melon Tea (メロンティー)
- [2000.04.19] Garage Opening Theme Song Shuu Vol. 4(ガレージ・オープニングソング集 Vol. 4)
- PV compilations
- [2002.11.27] Melon Kinenbi Single M Clips ① (メロン記念日シングルMクリップス①)
- [2003.12.03] Melon Kinenbi Single V Clips ② (メロン記念日シングルVクリップス②)
- [2007.05.09] Melon Kinenbi Single V Clips ③ (メロン記念日シングルVクリップス③)
- Concert DVDs
- [2003.05.08] Melon Kinenbi Live Tour 2003 Haru ~1st Anniversary~ (ライブツアー2003 春～1st Anniversary～)
- [2004.02.11] Melon Kinenbi ~03' Christmas Special Chou Shibu Melon~ (メロン記念日 ～03’クリスマススペシャル 超渋メロン～)
- [2004.11.26] Melon Kinenbi Live Tour 2004 Natsu ~Gokujou Melon~ (メロン記念日ライブツアー2004夏～極上メロン～)
- [2005.xx.xx] Natsumi Abe '05 Revue & Concert "How Are You, Miss Murata?" in Nippon Seinen-kan (Abe Natsumi)
- [2005.06.02] Melon Kinenbi Nippon Seinenkan Kouen '2005 Revue & Concert "Murata-sa~n, Gokii?" (メロン記念日 日本青年館公演 '2005 レビュー&コンサート｢むらたさ～ん、ごきっ?｣) (Fanclub release)
- [2006.03.15] Melon Kinenbi Concert Tour 2005 Fuyu "Kyou mo Melon Ashita mo Melon, Christmas wa Musk Melon de!" (~メロン記念日コンサートツアー2005冬「今日もメロン明日もメロン、クリスマスはマスクメロンで！」)
- [2007.01.01] Melon Kinenbi Live House Tour 2006 ~Shakunetsu Tengoku IN YOKOHAMA BLITZ~ (メロン記念日 LIVE HOUSE TOUR '2006 ~灼熱天国 IN YOKOHAMA BLITZ~) (Fanclub release)
- [2007.03.28] Melon Kinenbi Concert Tour 2006 Fuyu "FRUITY KILLER TUNE" (メロン記念日 コンサートツアー2006冬「FRUITY KILLER TUNE」)
- [2007.04.25] Hello☆Pro On Stage! 2007 ｢Rock desu yo!｣ (ハロ☆プロ オンステージ！2007 『Rockですよ！』)
- [2007.09.04] Melon Kinenbi Live House Tour 2007 ~LOCK ON!~ (メロン記念日 ライブハウスツアー2007 ～LOCK ON！～) (Fanclub release)
- [2007.12.29] Melon Kinenbi Concert Tour 2007 Fuyu "100% Melon Juice" (メロン記念日 コンサートツアー 2007 冬｢100%メロンジュース｣) (Fanclub release)
- [2008.09.06] Melon Kinenbi Live House Tour 2008 Yojigen Jack!! (メロン記念日 ライブハウスツアー2008 四次元ジャック！！) (Fanclub release)
- [2009.08.16] Melon Kinenbi Live Tour 2009 "Gaisen" (メロン記念日 ライブツアー2009 ｢凱旋｣) (Fanclub release)
- [2010.07.14] Melon Kinenbi FINAL STAGE "MELON'S NOT DEAD"
- [2003.12.06] Event V 2 Shot de Koibito Kibun! (イベントV 2ショットで恋人気分!) (Fanclub release)
- [2004.09.29] Shin Cyborg Shibata!! (新サイボーグしばたっ！！)
- [2005.09.28] Tatakae!! Cyborg Shibata San (闘え!!サイボーグしばた3 )
- [2010.06.30] Melon Kinenbi Monogatari ~Decade of MELON KINEN-BI~ (Fanclub release)
To see the entire list of concerts, please visit Melon Kinenbi Concerts
- Morning Musume no Heso (モーニング娘。のへそ?)
- Idol wo Sagase (アイドルをさがせ!?)
- Majokko Rika-chan no Magical v-u-den (魔女っ娘。梨華ちゃんのマジカル美勇伝?)
- Tensai Terebikun Max (天才てれびくんMax?)
- Musume Dokyu (娘Dokyu?)
- Colorful Pleasure
- Hyper Night Melon Kinenbi no "Meronpa" (ハイパーナイト・メロン記念日の「めろんぱ」?)
- Mijōku! Soujōku!! Seijoku!!! Kanjōku!!!! (未熟! 早熟!! 成熟!!! 完熟!!!!, Immature! Precocious!! Mature!!! Totally Matured!!!!?)
- Hello Pro Yanen
- The Moving Radio Korette Yappari Melon Kibun (The moving Radio これってやっぱりメロン気分?)
-  LOVE Century ~Yume wa Minakerya Hajimaranai~
-  Sougen no Hito (草原の人)
-  Okaeri (おかえり)
-  Girl's Knight
-  Edo Kara Chakushin!? ~Timeslip to Kengai!~ - (without Shibata Ayumi)
-  Watashi wo Dosei ni Tsuretette! 〜RPG Fly Me To The Saturn〜 (私を土星に連れてって！)
-  Kaba (かば)
-  Kaba 2 (かば2)
-  Kaba 3 (かば3)
-  UNO:R
-  Melon Kinenbi Monogatari ~Decade of MELON KINEN-BI~
-  July Hello! Project Fan Club Gentei Event
- [2003.09.30] Melon Kinenbi in Hello! Project 2003 Natsu (メロン記念日 in Hello! Project 2003夏)
- [2004.03.13] Melon Kinenbi in Hello! Project 2004 Winter (メロン記念日 in Hello! Project 2004 Winter)
- [2004.06.09] Taiyou to Kajitsu (太陽と果実)
- [2004.09.29] Melon Kinenbi in Hello! Project 2004 Summer (メロン記念日 in Hello! Project 2004 summer)
- [2005.10.??] Goto Maki + Melon Kinenbi Hello! Project 2005 Natsu no Kayou Show '05 Selection! Collection! (後藤真希+メロン記念日Hello!Project2005夏の歌謡ショー―05’セレクション!コレクション!) (With Goto Maki)
Total Sales CountEdit
|Year||Year Sales||Total Sales|
- Because of Melon Kinenbi’s long history, including the survival of an unpopular phase, the fans tend to be older and more dedicated to the group. The members are aware of this fact, and nowadays those fans are sometimes fondly referred to as “(w)otomodachi” (in katakana) on their blog posts.
- As for positioning on stage, around the beginning, Shibata Ayumi and Otani Masae stood at the front. Particularly in "Kousui" and some other songs, Shibata took the center stage and sang the main part, while the rest of the members sang the chorus part. Towards the end of their career, the distribution of singing parts became more well-balanced.
- As for the common question of "Which day is Melon Kinenbi (Melon Anniversary)?", the members usually answer, "February 19" (the date for the release of their debut single). There were occasions where the answer used to be, "Everyday is Melon Kinenbi."
- After the break-up, Murata Megumi initially remained under UP-FRONT, but left the industry on March 31, 2011, due to the effects of the 2011 Touhoku earthquake and tsunami om her hometown. Shibata Ayumi changed agencies and became a solo artist. Otani Masae also continued working as a singer, and is now an indie solo artist. Saito Hitomi left the industry immediately after the breakup and got married in 2010, then divorced in 2011, and is now working as a talento and radio host.
- ↑ Official Gekijyo Page
- ↑ [http://gekijyo.net/Gekipro/stage/2013/12/-4.html Official Gekijyo Page]
- ↑ Official Gekijyo Page
- ↑ Official Gekijyo Page
- ↑ Official Gekijyo Page
- ↑ Official Gekijyo Page
- ↑ Official Gekijyo Page